We Teach Your Child Good Oral Health Habits in Corsicana, TX
At Corsicana Pediatric Dentistry, we believe in making sure your child knows all about how to care for his or her teeth and gums. It is this information that will prepare your child for having a healthy mouth as an adult. Oral health education plays a big part in everything Dr. James Slaughter and the rest of our team does! Patients from Waxahachie, TX and surrounding areas are encouraged to contact us today and schedule their first appointment here in Corsicana.
While many general dentists are equipped to treat children, parents and their little ones can look forward to receiving something special at our practice. Dr. James is the only children’s specialist for miles around, and our focused approach means we have the experience and fine-tuned skill necessary to give your son or daughter an exceptional experience. Here are just some of the children’s dental care tips you’ll learn during your first visit:
- If your child is an infant and has not yet had any teeth erupt, clean their gums with a gentle infant’s washcloth after each feeding.
- You can brush your baby’s first teeth with a small child’s toothbrush. These brushes have softer bristles for better care of your child’s teeth. Use a pea-sized dollop of toothpaste, and make sure it contains fluoride.
- As your child gets older, teach him or her proper brushing and flossing techniques. You might want to help your child brush until he or she is seven or eight years of age.
Here are some additional tips for how to help your loved ones have a great first experience at our practice:
- Before your child’s first appointment, consider bringing them in for a shorter “getting to know you” visit! Our team would love to introduce ourselves and show them around our bright, colorful office space, pointing out fun things they can look forward to along the way.
- Bring along a favorite toy or comfort item for your child so they can have something familiar to rely on. This often helps little patients who are shy or nervous feel more at ease in a new environment.
- Practice with your child at home! Have them sit back in an armchair and pretend that you’re inspecting their mouth; you can also switch positions and let them act like the dentist.
- Avoid telling your child about negative dental experiences you’ve had or any personal feelings of dental-related anxiety. Children tend to absorb this information more easily than you think. Instead, stay positive about what a great time they’ll have! If you’re happy and excited, they’re likely to feel the same way.
Special Needs Dentistry
Our practice loves welcoming all kids here in Corsicana, and that includes those with special physical, developmental, or behavioral needs that may require a unique approach. Dr. James is a pediatric specialist, and he and his dedicated staff members take the time to work closely and patiently with your loved ones to ensure that their smiles shine brightly. We also enjoy educating family members and care givers on the importance of preventive care and personal oral hygiene, especially for patients who are not capable of self-care and will need that valuable support through the years.
If a child loses one of their primary (“baby”) teeth early on, they may need a space maintainer from our practice. This custom appliance is designed to keep this important space in their mouth open allowing the permanent tooth to erupt properly and take its rightful place. Without the help of a space maintainer neighboring teeth may accidentally shift into these areas requiring involved and costly orthodontic correction in the future.